Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Beyond any logic

There is definitely a negative past life connection between me and the entire auto rickshaw community. There is no other explanation I can find for all the inconvenience I am put through when travelling by an auto.

Okay so I am in a hurry to get back home after a long and hectic day at work when my auto driver takes a detour and chooses the longest possible way. Protests, anger and threats to get off are met with excuses till it becomes too late for him to turn the auto back. So either I get off that auto in a god forsaken place, catch another auto and hope it takes me back home FAST or I keep sitting in the first auto, seething till I get back home. If I am lucky he doesn't put up too much of a fight and I pay the regular fare or if he's lucky he gets to take the extra money home. Either way, I am inconvenienced. I am bugged and even as I write this I can feel the anger building up.

It's not just about the detours, it about autos breaking down, running out of gas, stopping at petrol pumps for a refill, rash driving, getting involved in an accident, staring at me in the rear view mirror and at every other woman on the street ... the list is endless. The result - a very very angry me. The ultimate test of my patience was when I had to change 3 autos to cover 4 kms. Imagine the exasperation ! There is no logic nor reason that can explain why all these episodes happen with me. It just happens. Each time. Every time.

The easiest solution would be to quit travelling by auto and get my own vehicle. But I have this strong premonition - on my first day out, this yellow and back demon on three wheels will SURELY come hurling at me!

So now, if I have to go someplace, this is how I calculate my time to reach there: Time = Speed / Distance + Traffic allowance + Auto allowance.
I also don't loose my patience as much as I did before. Instead, I sit quietly and send a sms to my friend saying, " I struck again".

No comments: