Wednesday, September 26, 2007

This weekend vs. Next weekend

In the group mails we exchange, this bit of conversation between two friends made me stop and wonder that while I might be clear about my fundamentals of the English language (or so I'd like to think :-), could I be crisp in my explanations to a third person of the nuances of certain expressions.

Here is the mail thread that started on, and I stress on the weekday it started for reasons you can read in the link below, Tue, Sep 11th 2007, which triggered off this post :

R : P, aata kya Adirondacks? Next weekend… ( P, coming to Adirondacks? Next weekend...)

P : you mean Sep 15th or Sep 22nd?

R: Next weekend kya hota hain? (What do you think next weekend means? / What do you think I mean by next weekend? / Don't you know what next weekend means? )

Just out of curiosity I googled to see if this confusion prevailed among others too and the search results amazed me!

I also came up with a small list of words/ expressions that I recently started noticing in my emails and which have the potential to become a discussion over a mug of beer. Each expression is a link that tries to explain the difference. You can read if it piques you or, like me, you can come up with your own reasoning and justify them till the other person gives up !






No comments: