Monday, September 08, 2008

There should be some kind of cosmic limit on how much body insecurity the universe can handle

Saw a young girl, in her early teens is my guess, preen in front of the dressing room mirror at Nordstorm today looking mighty un - pleased with a dress she had on. Reason - it didn't conceal the fat on her arms. Now, it averages a freakin' 110F here in Scottsdale and she was adamant that her mom bought her a longer-sleeved 'summer' frock. Not sure what they finally ended up buying.

Ok, who am I kidding. I am a sucker for well-fitting clothes (a new addiction) too. But seeing somebody that young being so particular about the yet-to-vanish baby fat made me wonder if that was normal. I would have totally understood if she'd wanted low necklines and high hemlines. Some boobage and legs to flaunt, hey why not! You got it you flaunt it. Oh, I digress.

Coming back to Missy, I am not able to decide if it's alright to be conscious about fat, figure, calories and such from such an early age.

Maybe it is. She'll grow up w/o having to feel embarrassed about ever wearing baggy 6-pocket jeans and red stonewashed over sized shirt which she thought looked 'cool'. Sigh ... why did I have to bring up a painful reminder of my past!

Maybe it adds unnecessary pressure on young teens. It's hard enough trying to focus on your studies, games, pranks, developing feminine wiles, boyfriends and the likes.

Maybe I should care less about what they care about and push my shopping cart to the footwear section and buy the 4" blue pumps to address my vertical challenge.

No comments: